Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Book Report: A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

(Image from Barnes and Noble)

I sit here thinking about this book that I just read in less than 2 days and my heart aches. Jaycee Lee Dugard went through so much in the 18 years she was held captive by a sex offender and his wife. But what strikes me most is that she is such a courageous woman, so full of strength and hope and even peace about her future. She chooses not to focus on the past and lives for the future…. which is part of the reason she chose to write the book. She didn’t want to keep her captors secrets anymore. What happened to her during those years was awful… and very hard to read but I am glad I did because her story has blessed me more than I imagined. I love that she shared one of her favorite quotes with her readers… “I said to my soul be still, and wait without hope; for hope would be hope for the wrong thing.” – T.S. Eliot. She shares in the book that her hope was in the wrong people during her captivity, but nonetheless, it was hope. A couple other quotes she shared was “What will happen will happen. There is time for miracles until there is no more time, but time has no end.” And “Hope, love, and faith are all in the waiting.” –both by Dean Koontz. She also shares in her book that in one of her journal entries she writes that one of things she wants to do someday is write a bestselling book. At that time, I don’t think she had any idea it would be about her life, maybe more fiction as she loves imagery. On the first day her book was released, 175,000 copies were sold which made a record for her publisher Simon and Schuester. You go girl, Jaycee!

It’s hard to rate this book. How do you say you “like” a book or rate it when the topic is such an unfathomable one? I chose to rate this book a 4. While the book was very all over the place, grammatically not the greatest and a tough (but easy) read, I think it is definitely worth a 4. (I reserve 5’s for my favorite books ever.) The reason I give this a 4 is for Jaycee’s courage and strength and the will to share her story and move on and heal. Jaycee deserves it for everything she’s been through.

Jaycee is an amazing woman. I really do recommend reading this book, but know that the content is tough. Jaycee also did an excellent special with Diane Sawyer that worth watching. She’s too cute and sweet….. I just know she is going to have a beautiful life!

1 comment:

  1. Miss you sweetie!

    I got this book and read it within a day.

    ReplyDelete