Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Book Report: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


(image from Barnes and Noble)

My sister, Sheena, read this book before me and when I asked her to explain what it was like, she said it was too hard to put into words! I definitely have to agree…. In fact, I wonder how I am going to write a review! I’ll try…. “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” is…. well, very peculiar. The author, Ransom Riggs, couldn’t have used a better word in the title! This book is unlike anything I typically read in the way it is very dreamy, fairytale-like. The characters remind me almost of cartoon characters, or ones out of a horror flick… levitating girls, invisible boys. The story was very fun… I completely enjoyed this fun fantasy world these peculiar children live in. Because I have absolutely no idea how to explain what the book is about, I’ll let you watch the trailer which I found to be very fun!!! Actually, having watched the trailer, I think this book would make a phenomenal movie!!!


I think my very favorite part of this book was that the author incorporated vintage photos into his story. Or maybe it was the other way around. Maybe he used the photos to create this story. (Guess I’ll have to research that.) It was super fun to have pictures throughout the book to give you a visual of different people and places throughout the story. When I went on YouTube to watch the book trailer, I found that the author is a collector of vintage photos and that he is in the midst of composing a book of these photos. You must watch the video, “Talking Pictures”… it’s amazing!


With my love of photography, and vintage cameras, the collecting of vintage photographs was something that totally spoke to me. In fact, already, I love going to antique shops and flea markets. So I got all giddy excited and emailed Sheena and told her this was something I must do and she had the exact same idea after watching “Talking Pictures”!!! I am super thrilled that both she and I have decided to start collecting vintage photos! I can’t wait to see where this newfound hobby brings us! The very cool and unique thing is that a photograph can speak differently to people in different ways. I could pick up a photo that is completely boring to me, but Sheena may absolutely fall in love with it. Even though we are going to share the same hobby of collecting vintage photos, our collections will surely end up dramatically different! And this is going to be a blast! My plan is to share the vintage photos I find on my blog along with my thoughts and feelings about the photo, so please stay tuned!

For now, I’ll share with you a vintage photo that I found…. I fell in love with it and knew immediately that I wanted Sheena to have it (even though I badly wanted to keep it myself). When I look at this photograph, I see two sisters and that they love to read and love books, just like Sheena and I. In reality, maybe these two aren’t sister and maybe are teachers…. But this is the fun thing. I get to use my imagination. My imagination tells me these two women are sisters (after all, they do look similar) and they love books and reading!

1 comment:

  1. Great review and post!! I am so excited for our new collecting adventure :)

    ReplyDelete