Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

M4H Project 52 - Week 10: Personality

I know this image is a repeat.... but I decided to choose it for this week's M4H Project 52.
Week 10 - Personality - Fergus Falls State Hospital

Each time I'd try to figure out what I was going to do for this week's theme of "Personality", I kept thinking back to my visit this week to this stunning structure.... and I kept thinking about this image I captured. Not only does this image represent my photographic personality - my love of photographing architecture and abandoned structures - it symbolizes "personality" at it's core. This is a historic insane asylum. Not only is the Kirkbride architecture full of personality, but every patient that ever stepped through the doors of these infamous facilities were tagged with some form of personality (or mental) disorder. This structure is one of the few remaining Kirkbride's in the country. Most have been demolished. It's such a shame. These structures symbolize so much more than just a pretty photograph. They symbolize everything thing that happened within the walls and they symbolize every person who ever called them home. Even though these people were diagnosed with various personality disorders, they all had personality.... unique, genuine personality.... and they must not be forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. You know I love this one. And what you wrote to go along with it...perfect!

    ReplyDelete