Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

I have a dream.....

....oh how I dream of the day there is no more racism and discrimination in this world. While we have come a long way since Martin Luther King, Jr.'s infamous speech on August 28, 1963, unfortunately the world still has a long way to go. I thought a lot about this while my sister, Sheena, and I spent a couple days in Detroit this past July. Detroit has such a rich history of racism and riots and segregation and poverty and you could see this and feel this just walking and driving around this magnificent city. And I wondered why.... why does it have to be this way? I cannot tell you how huge of a heart I have for this decaying city now that I have seen it with my own eyes. I cannot stop thinking about Detroit and everything it portrays. I cannot wait to go back.

Like Martin Luther King, Jr., Tyree Guyton had a dream. A dream to rid his childhood neighborhood of violence and drugs. One of the most amazing places in Detroit is The Heidelberg Project. I visited The Heidelberg Project a couple years ago and ever since then, Sheena and I have been wanting visit together. My favorite house and art display on the block is the Dotty Wotty House. Since my last visit, Dotty Wotty has been repainted but the best part about Dotty Wotty is still there... Martin Luther King, Jr.'s picture. And I want to share with you, my most favorite picture of the trip. When I look at this picture, with the sun flaring just perfectly, I have to believe that Martin Luther King, Jr. is shining from heaven above.... telling me "Shannon, someday, in heaven, there will be no racism, no poverty, no discrimination.... so hold onto that dream."

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

dsc_4854_edited-1

"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.” -Revelation 21:4

And by the way, Sheena and I got to meet Tyree, nearly right in front of the Dotty Wotty house. What a magnificent man.... it was an honor to meet him. And when I asked him why they repainted Dotty Wotty, he simply said "Because change is good." Yes, indeed.... change is good.

4 comments:

  1. What an introspective entry! I love you and your insightfulness! Some day . . .

    I had that MLK quote posted on my Myspace page back in the day. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great addition to your blog! Great writing and photo!

    The tree has been cut down, but the roots grow deep!

    ReplyDelete